With two weeks to go to our restaging of the historic Putney Debates, we are pleased to announce the full line-up and programme details.
The Debates will be chaired by the UK's leading legal commentator Joshua Rozenberg, Cambridge philosopher and Cross-bench Peer Baroness Onora O'Neill, and Oxford constitutional law experts Professors Paul Craig and Denis Galligan, who will preside over four panels of over 30 prominent figures from the law, politics, and civil society.
- Renowned philosopher and prominent Brexit critic AC Grayling will make an impassioned call for a written Constitution for the UK, 370 years after it was first proposed at the original Putney Debates;
- Former Lord Justice of Appeal Sir Stephen Sedley will ask: Following the legal challenge to the Royal Prerogative used to trigger Article 50, does the separation of powers still work?
- Rob Murray, lead partner at Mishcon de Reya LLP, representing Gina Miller in the Article 50 case before the UK Supreme Court, will offer his insights into the key findings of the case days after it is due to be announced;
- Eminent human rights lawyer Michael Mansfield QC will argue for the value of the popular vote;
- Oxford Professors Will Hutton, Timothy Garton Ash, and Paul Craig will examine the evolving role and expectations of the People in our 21st Century democracy;
- Robert Hazell CBE, founder of the Constitution Unit at UCL will review the purpose of referendums and why we need fewer of them;
- and Anthony Barnett, founder of openDemocracy, will assess the democratic and constitutional principles that the original Putney Debates established, and their place in today's UK.
See full line-up and session details
Now more than ever, it is time to re-stage the Putney Debates for the twenty-first century, to bring together a wide selection of citizens from diverse backgrounds and disciplines to discuss the constitutional challenges that confront us today.
Register Now to be a part of this landmark event in the debate over the UK's constitutional future.
Buy two-day tickets at a special discounted rate
To claim your discount, follow the above link to the EventBrite page, click on 'Tickets', and Enter Promotional Code: 2DayDiscount to receive £5 off the two-day ticket.